What to do after a hit-and-run
A hit-and-run refers to an accident where one party, the one usually at fault, fails to stop after a collision. Being involved in a hit-and-run accident can be scary due to the level of uncertainty you may be facing. There are several steps that you should take in order to make sure that you receive the compensation that you deserve.
Steps to take
- Stay Calm: It’s important to remain calm and collected after an accident. Take a few deep breaths to center yourself and think clearly about what steps to take next.
- Check for Injuries: Check yourself and anyone else involved in the accident for injuries. If anyone is hurt, call 911 or seek medical attention immediately.
- Call the Police: Call the police and report the accident, providing as much detail as possible, including the location, time, and any identifying information about the other vehicle (such as make, model, and license plate number, if you were able to get it).
- Document the Scene: Take photos or video of the accident scene, including damage to your vehicle and any other property involved. If there are any witnesses to the accident, try to get their contact information.
- Contact Your Insurance Company: Contact your insurance company to report the accident and provide them with all the information you’ve gathered.
- Consider Legal Action: If you were injured or suffered significant property damage, you will want to consider speaking with an experienced personal injury attorney about your legal options.
Remember, it’s important to never leave the scene of an accident, even if the other driver flees. Leaving the scene of an accident can result in criminal charges and other legal consequences. If you or someone you know has been injured in a hit-and-run accident, contact Gosdis Law today to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney today to get the compensation and care that you deserve.